The Bureau of Meteorology Newsroom has been designed to provide material that can be easily sourced
and referenced by journalists in media coverage of weather, warnings and other information of public interest.
22/05/2020 - National
As the world faces one major threat, a dedicated team in Australia is maintaining a vigilant watch for a threat of a very different kind.
The Joint Australian Tsunami Warning Centre (JATWC) monitors tsunami activity in the waters around Australia, and this week it's marking the 60th anniversary of one of the most severe tsunamis on record.
One of the catalysts for international action on tsunami warning happened 60 years ago, when the world's largest ever... read more...
18/05/2020 - VIC
Meteorologist Chris Arvier from the Bureau of Meteorology discusses the forecast for Victoria, including:
- Cold mornings followed by fine days
- last of the sunshine today for a while
- Wintery conditions forecast
- Strongest winds
- Showery conditions may persist into the weekend
Download audio here, current at 11.30am 18/05/2020
For the latest... read more...
08/05/2020 - VIC
Senior Meteorologist Dean Stewart from the Bureau of Meteorology Victoria discusses the cold weather heading Victoria's way over the weekend, including:
- Forecast for tomorrow – wet, cold with possible thunder and hail.
- Outlook for Mothers Day
Download audio here, current at 11.30am 8/5/2020
For the latest weather and warnings go to:
07/05/2020 - VIC
Senior Meteorologist Dean Stewart from the Bureau of Meteorology Victoria discusses the forecast hading into a wintery weekend, including:
- Strongest wind gusts recorded so far
- Forecast for coming days, including wintrey burst on Saturday with possible storms
- Cool conditions for Mothers Day
Download audio here, current at 1.30pm 7/5/2020
For... read more...