The Bureau of Meteorology Newsroom has been designed to provide material that can be easily sourced
and referenced by journalists in media coverage of weather, warnings and other information of public interest.
18/01/2019 - National
SENIOR METEOROLOGIST, DIANA EADIE: Hello from the Bureau of Meteorology. We're here with an update on the ongoing heatwave and elevated fire conditions.
Severe heatwave conditions are continuing today over a large part of New South Wales, extending into South Australia, Queensland and the Northern Territory.
The temperature in Noona in NSW only dropped to 35.9 degrees last night, an all-time minimum temperature record for Australia. Broad areas will exceed... read more...
17/01/2019 - National
If you've got an amazing weather photo the world should see, time is running out to enter it into the Bureau of Meteorology's 2020 Australian Weather Calendar competition.
For 35 years, the Bureau's Australian Weather Calendar has become a much-loved tradition, showcasing our country's best weather images. Winners have had their photos displayed in homes, schools and offices across Australia and more than 80 countries around the world.
Bureau meteorologist... read more...
17/01/2019 - VIC
Senior Meteorologist Rod Dickson from the Bureau of Meteorology Victoria discusses:
- Records broken across Victoria yesterday
- Hot conditions continue today
- Increased fire danger due to winds and possible dry thunderstorms
- Temperature for Melbourne
- Southerly wind change this afternoon will increase humidity
- Cooler, southerly change tomorrow extending throughout
- Heating up again next week
Audio is current as of... read more...
14/01/2019 - TAS
Fire weather meteorologist, Alex Melitsis, from the Bureau of Meteorology in Tasmania discusses:
- Prolonged period of high temperatures until Friday
- Elevated fire dangers in some areas, particularly Tuesday and Wednesday
- Cooler conditions on the weekend
- Significant rainfall is not expected
Audio is current as of 10.45am on 14 January 2019.
To download this audio,